Singing for health vs our culture

By Rose-ellen Kemp

It has been proven that solo and group singing is a healthy activity, not just for self-esteem but for social well-being too. "SINGING IS GOOD FOR YOU" exclaimed a leaflet I received from the British Voice Association. Those of us who have done lots of it would claim this is common sense but some scientists have helped us prove it for those who haven't. Speaking of those who haven't...

It seems, these days, that every time someone dares to utter but a single phrase from a popular song, a desk will suddenly sprout from nowhere and between three and four almost entirely unqualified people will just plonk themselves down behind it and commence to light up large red 'X' signs and furiously judge a human's worthiness to perform a perfectly healthy and natural bodily function based on what could only be described as entirely arbitrary and subjective parameters. (*breath*) I don't even mean just on TV, I've seen it happen in Asda! No really, but every citizen seems to have somehow been empowered by TV to feel entitled to be judge, jury and executioner of any singing they hear around them. They seem to feel their opinion is always needed on the subject.

And as a singing teacher, I can tell you what the other side of that particularly ugly coin is...

"Oh no, you don't wanna hear me sing", "completely tone deaf I am", "ooh, the dogs howl along with me, no, I don't even sing in the shower", "NO, I DON'T SING, I'M SO ATROCIOUS THAT MY VERSION OF NESSUN DORMA WOULD ALMOST CERTAINLY BRING ABOUT THE APOCOLYPSE". That last one isn't a direct quote but the others are, and I hear them every time I tell someone what I do.

We at Stones Barn deem this sort of judging others and self-judgement brought on by 'music' 'moguls' trying to squeeze a buck out of our insecurities and vulnerabilities to be altogether unhelpful. Therefore, we put it to you that singing aloud in a place where others might hear is not only for 'the talented few' but for anyone, absolutely anyone who wishes to do so. 

We fight to undo this 'for the talented few' myth on every front. And the best way for you to fight it in our culture on a day-to-day basis is to stick two fingers up to those who would try to make us feel self-conscious, and bloomin' well sing anyway! Don't listen to the nagging doubts, get down to that singaround you've been meaning to join for 15 years, join that singing group, get yourself a slot booked at the local open mic, get out there!

Because, it isn't really about who hears you sing, it's as much about you FEELING you sing. Go out and find some health and have a great time. We support you.


www.stonesbarn.co.uk

Comments

  1. Love singing, something I inherited from my Dad I'm sure (who would sing anywhere and everywhere … much to our embarrassment as kids!) Interestingly I will happily sing in choirs, and have loved singing with my daughter in the car over many years before she left home (each taking various parts of Gilbert and Sullivan etc.!) but am shy about singing in casual settings in front of others i.e. wouldn't sing in the car with my son or hubby and happily sing as I go on long walks, but stop if others are present. One day ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder Rose-Ellen. Thanks in part to classes at Stones Barn and partly just have no shame ��about singing- I love to sing. Currently singing to my 2 1/2 month old grandson Wally. He LOVES it and hope to helping turn him into a music lover and happy singer! Thanks! ��. Mary Ellen from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on! Practice makes perfect(ish)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment